About Poetry Wales
Founded in 1965, Poetry Wales is a triannual magazine with an international reputation for excellent poems, features and reviews from Wales and beyond. Emerging from a rich bilingual culture, Poetry Wales explores the diverse perspectives of Welsh poetry in English and its international relationships.
Its interest in translation, and in local and national identities in a global context, are at the forefront of some of the most exciting developments in poetry today. The magazine is open to tradition and experiment, publishing poetry from a wide range of approaches. Against this background of dynamic contrast, it offers a lively and informed critical context for the best contemporary poetry.
Please read a copy of Poetry Wales magazine before submitting to get an idea of the kind of poetry we publish. The magazine welcomes ideas for features to appear in the magazine. If there is an article you would like to write for the magazine, or if you are interested in writing reviews of poetry books for us, please e-mail email@example.com
Submit your single poem entry using the form below. Please ensure you have paid your entry fee before completing this form unless you are entitled to free entry. Please submit only one poem at a time. If you have multiple entries, please submit via Google or email. Details can be found at the bottom of poetrywales.co.uk/award
- Wales Poetry Award opens for entries 1 July 2020 and closes 27 November 2020 at 3pm (British Standard Time). Any entries received after this time will not be considered.
- Wales Poetry Award is open to poets worldwide aged 17 or over at the time of submission.
- Poems should be submitted primarily in English, with a key or footnotes included for any words translated.
- You may submit up to 5 poems online at poetrywales.co.uk/award or via post.
- Unless visual effects/font variations are part of a poem’s composition, entries should be typed, single-spaced, in 12pt Arial font and printed in black ink.
- All entries must be accompanied with an entry form.
- Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy for your own records.
- Poems may not be edited once they have been submitted.
- Poems must not exceed 70 lines (excluding title).
- Each poem must be sent as a separate .doc, .docx or PDF document.
- If a poem exceeds one page, please number the pages with the title printed on each page.
- Your name must not be visible on entries as poems are judged anonymously.
- Poems will be judged on quality, style and poetic impact.
- Prizes may not be awarded if we do not receive a minimum of 200 entries.
- A submission fee of £5 must accompany every poem submitted, with the exception of those entitled to free entry.
- *Entries are free for UK residents of low-income backgrounds, from households earning £16,000 or less per year.
- Simultaneous submissions are not permitted.
- Poems may not have been previously published.
- Poems submitted must be entirely your own work.
- Entry fees may be paid online at
poetrywales.co.uk/award or via post using the form overleaf.
- By entering Wales Poetry Award, authors of shortlisted, winning and highly commended poems grant Poetry Wales the unrestricted rights in perpetuity to publish and broadcast their poem in print, online, audio, performance and video. Winning poems may not be published elsewhere until March 2022.
- Your contact details will be used to inform you about the status of your entry and about current and future rounds of Wales Poetry Award.
- Poetry Wales reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason.
- Shortlisted poets will be notified of their shortlist status by the end of February 2021 unless circumstances prevent this.
- The winner is entitled to a residential course at Literature Wales’ Tŷ Newydd Writing Centre of his/her choice or a 4-night stay at their Nant Writers’ Retreat Cottage in 2021 subject to availability, and not including courses that are awarded through a competitive application process. Prize cannot be exchanged for a monetary prize.
- Entrants must be contactable via email or phone.
Poetry Wales is the national poetry magazine of Wales, with an international audience for poetry, poetics, reviews and essays.
To submit, please include six poems in a single Word document. We encourage poets to read the magazine before submitting. http://poetrywales.co.uk/subscribe
Please prepare your submission in consideration of our submissions guidelines. https://poetrywales.co.uk/submission/